| SINCE | (a) I have been here | since eight o’clock. since Tuesday. since May. since 1989. since January 3, 1988. since the beginning of the semester. since yesterday. since last month. | Since is followed by the mention of a spesific point in time: an hour, a day, a month, a year, etc. Since expresses the idea that an activity began at a specific time in the past and continues to the present. The present perfect also expresses the idea that an activity began in the past and continues to the present. | |
(b) INCORRECT: I am living here since May. (c) INCORRECT: I live here since May. INCORRECT: I am here since May. (d) INCORRECT: I lived here since May. INCORRECT: I was here since May. (e) CORRECT: I have lived here since May. CORRECT: I have been here since May. CORRECT: I have been living here since May. | The present perfect is used in sentences with since. In (b): The present progressive is NOT used. In (c): The simple present is NOT used. In (d): The simple past is NOT used. | |||
| MAIN CLAUSE (present perfect) (f) I have lived here (g) Al has met many people | SINCE CLAUSE (simple past) since I was a child. since he came here. | Since may also introduce a time clause (i.e., a subject and verb many follow since). Notice in the examples: The present perfect is used in the main clause; the simple past is used in the “since clause”. | ||
| FOR | (h) I have been here | for ten minutes. for two hours. for five days. for about three weeks. for almost six months. for many years. for a long time. | For is followed by the mention of a length ot time: two minutes, three hours, four days, five weeks, etc. Note: If the noun ends in –s (hours, days, weeks, etc.), use for in the time expression, not since. | |
(i) I have lived here for two years. I moved here two years ago, and I still live here. (j) I lived in Chicago for two years. I don’t live in Chicago now. | In (i): The use of the present perfect in a sentence with for + a length of time means that the action began in the past and continues to the present. In (j): The use of the simple past means that he action began and ended in the past. | |||
Jumat, 13 Januari 2012
MENGGUNAKAN SINCE AND FOR
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar